Monday, November 18, 2013

Trying to find Chinatown Response

"You're on of those self-hating, assimilated Chinese-Americans, aren't you?"(Hwang 44). Trying to find Chinatown is an extremely funny dialogue between two "Asian" Americans. One is a white male(Benjamin) who was adopted by Asian Americans and the other is an actual Asian American(Ronnie) who has assimilated to the New York City lifestyle. The conversation is funny and it involves a lot of stereotypes and racism. Ronnie has stereotyped Benjamin to being a white guy and can't believe that he know so much about being Asian. I can sympathize with this because I am always stereotyped in all different ways because I have a unique look. Some people think I look Indian, some say Mexican, Afghan, Black/White combination. I get all sorts of different stereotypes because of my unique look. So I tend to get the bad frustrated easily because of this. When I was younger, it was hard for me to find a true identity. Thankfully, as I got older I started to look more like my race. The only problem was that very few people know where the country my parents are from is located. Some haven't even heard of it at all. Being a Libyan-American is harder than being a more commonly known race, in my opinion.
Me: Malcolm, how do you feel about this. 
X: All of you need to shut up, i'm dead because of the stereotypes and racism I received in my life. 
Me: But.... 
X: But nothing, without me, none of you would even have the rights you do today. 
Me: Alright, jeeez. Thanks Malcolm

No comments:

Post a Comment